The Orthodox Christian Youth Movement (OCYM), the Youth-wing of the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Chruch is in its 77th year of active leadership and Christian witness in the Church and society. It contributes to the goodness and progress of the Church and community in the three-fold path of worship, study and service. It aims at moulding the minds and visions of the youth against the background of the contemporary issues.
Looking back, we see the seeds of the Youth Movement planted by the visionary leaders of the church during the latter half of the nineteenth century. A spiritual organisation with the name Yuvajana Sangam was working effectively in various places and parishes along with other organisations like Sunday school, suvishesha sangam etc. They helped a lot to anchor the mother church safely in the storm created by the renewal group.
It was in the year 1933 that the attempts to bring together the local youth fellowships and to start a Parish–Centred Syrian Yuvajana Sangam, (Youth league) was materialized with the active leadership of Joseph Mar Severios Valakuzhyil Episcopa (President) and Rev Fr TS Abraham (Secretary).
The historic canference in 1936 held at Mavelikara broadened the vision of the Yuvajana Sangam and the Sangam was established as the official wing of the Church with Metropolitan Geevarghese Mar Philexinos (Puthenkavil Kochu Thirumeni) as president and Clery P E Daniel (Later Daniel Mar Philerinos) as general secretary.
The year 1958 was decisive for the youth in the sense that the annual conference held in Puthupally officially accepted the title ‘The Orthodox christian Youth Movement’ and initiatives were taken to start a monthly publication with the title Orthodox Youth (now published with the title Orthodox Yuvajanam). The Movement continues its spiritual journey with broader visions and effective Christian youth leadership.